Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Richest Family!








As we have visited people on our mission, we hear so many stories of awful abuse and heartache that I can't help but feel extremely blessed. Our children were all wanted and welcome into a home where their father worked hard to support them and to love them. Your dad provided a home where there was plenty of fresh air, the best water to drink, space to run free, a love for and a reverence for nature (laying on the lawn at night to watch the stars, even shooting stars), walks to the west desert, making whistles from dandelion stalks, eating peas from the garden and gooseberries. He has taught a healthy respect for the constitution, and the great leaders of this nation. We have taught our children to be independent and to work hard. When they all left home, they knew how to cook, bake bread, do dishes (what's a two legged dishwasher?), change diapers, babysit, clean the kitchen, do laundry, pull weeds, mow lawns, a little landscaping, care for their pets, and basically all of the things it takes to make a home.

They may have thought they were poor when we went on picnics at ward outings or reunions, and we were the only family without potato chips, or lots of candy, but their mother, in an attempt to raise healthy children, just didn't want to spend precious grocery money on junk food - chips, cold cereal, candy, pizza, etc. I used to wonder where the nutrition was in most of the grocery carts I saw at the grocery store. People used to comment on my grocery carts full of fresh produce. I guess I kind of prided myself on trying to feed my family right.

Maybe we couldn't afford all of the frivolities of life - dancing lessons, acrobatics, music and voice lessons, but you all have managed to cultivate some very impressive talents and abilities to meet setbacks and hardships.

We did have our challenges with health, teenage rebellion, dad out of work occasionally, disagreements - you know - opposition in all things that helps us to appreciate the good times. I have very fond memories of getting up early in the mornings to read scriptures together after our missionary son rebuked us for not doing so. It became a way to dress our children in spiritual armor for the day. I also faithfully wrote letters weekly to missionary sons and daughters.

The greatest satisfaction now comes to us as we recognize what good parents you have all become, the wonderful sense of humor which you can go through life with, the great love you all have for one another, the way all of the cousins enjoy getting together and what a blast we have had sharing memories, laughing, laughing, laughing, rolling on the floor, laughing, and recognizing everyone's talents. We are grateful for your political interests, the way you are all becoming informed and desiring to make right choices as we all face this very critical time in our history, and the challenges to our freedoms. We are grateful for all of your tender feelings for President Hinckley, but most of all for your knowledge of Heavenly Fathers great plan of happiness, and gratitude for the atoning sacrifice of His Beloved Son.

We are grateful for the exotic cultural opportunities our lives have been blessed with and enriched by. We are indeed the richest of families. Love Mom and Dad

12 comments:

Iditadad said...

I just remembered something - I even remember going out in the bitter cold walking with my children who were delivering newspapers in our town because I couldn't bear to send them out if I wasn't always willing. Love WoW

Cindy said...

I'm first!!
Very well put MoM and DaD.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
You are the greatest parents we could have asked for. We all probably knew what great parents you would be in the pre existence,
and thats probably why so many of us wanted to be in your family. We were probably all fighting to be first in line! Well we see who won out. And who was last. Paul and Amber. I was content being the middle child, Content to let a few go ahead and then finally "butt" (please dont give me Vinger Talon) in line when I just couldn't take it any more and wanting to beat sharon cause the thought of her going ahead of me was too much to bear. And knowing that if I waited to long, that I might not get to spend to much time with my big bro who I have adored and who has been one of the most influencial people im my life.

Anyway just rambling...
We truly are one of the richest fammilies on earth.

Here at home said...

Mike, you are awesome. I just want you to know that. You have a great family and a wonderful wife. All 7 of your children were probably just as excited to come to you guys. I have heard a lot of people say how much they like you and are impressed with you. I think I must have loved you a lot to let you go ahead of me. I'm glad that you got to come and be with Paul. Heavenly Father really does love us, doesn't He. He knew what and who we would need in this life to help us make it through. I'm glad He sent Bonnie right after me because He knew how much I would need her. And Susie, and Jeremy, and Amberlee. Each of you have touched my life in so many ways.
Okay, now I'm rambling, but I really love Mike's comment and just wanted to tell you how glad I am that you're part of our family.
Thanks M&D for all you did for us and taught us. I love you guys and am proud to be your daughter.

DrGooch said...

That upbringing was priceless. You taught us to think for ourselves and have honest hearts. You gave us the gift of a rural raisin' which made sure we understood that Chicken didn't grow on the shelf at Reams.

Love you too Bro. You can beat me in an armwrestle today, but I'll bet my biceps were bigger when we were sorting out the birth order. How else do you explain the fact that you look older than me?

Wendoyoublog in Colorado said...

Nice article....it is Ensign worthy. But then others would be jealous...better not submitt it.

Mike, I am sorry that I wouldn't let you butt in front of me to come to earth. It would have ruined the pattern of boy...3 girls, boy....3 girls....boy....1 girl...

Ambears twins must have been a girl...maybe there were triplet girls....Ambear...glad you made it.

Love you D&M

Wendoyoublog in Colorado said...

lucky family

Tamster said...

Very nicely said. I feel privileged to be a part of this family through marriage. I've got a wonderful family I grew up with and now wonderful in-laws. I don't think I could find better if I tried! Thanks, y'all! :-) Love y'all!

Tamster said...

Oh, and thanks, Mom and Dad, for all that you taught my husband! He really is amazing in so many ways--so many things he knows how to do that so many others don't. I am grateful he had parents who taught and prepared him so well--and encouraged him to be an Eagle Scout. (Guess who's our ward's new Scout Master? And first counselor in YM's. Hehehehe! I just had to put that little tidbit in.) Anyway, thank you for myself and my children for all that you taught my husband! :-)

Bonnie said...

I loved walking along the railroad tracks with dad. I was terrified of them but felt safe when he was there.

I loved planting flowers or just doing anything along side mom. She always valued my opinion and that meant a lot to me.

As for the birth order, I am just so grateful that we can all have such a great relationship. Growing up I felt like there was always the big kids and the little kids. I never imagined I could feel as valued by the BIG kids as I do now. Thank you all for that!

You are all among my dearest friends and I wouldn't trade any of you for anything. As a youngster I am sure I never dreamed I would be saying that either! I think at one point I wanted to trade you all for anything. Just so I could have mom and dad to myself.

shauna said...

I hope all of our children will love getting together and enjoy each other as much as we do. We had a priceless childhood in a wonderful place. We may not have had the maturity to understand it then, but now we know. I am just so grateful that it is not to late to say thanks mom and dad!

HuckFinnsMom said...

Mom, do you remember the time I was really mad at you and I was laying on the couch pouting? You came and layed on the other side and I wouldnt speak to you. I don't know how long I layed there in silence, but it was a long time. I finally decided I was going to get up and STOMP out of the room to let you know you were NOT forgiven! (I was always good at giving messages without words.) So, I get up and try to stomp off, but unfortunately, my left leg was sound asleep and didn't get the message. I fell flat on my face. You thought it was funny, I did not, I got up and attempted once again to stomp out of the room, only to get the same response from dead leg. By this time you were roaring with laughter, and I was doing all I could NOT to give you the pleasure of laughing too. I wanted to remain mad at you. I really can't remember what I did after that, but somehow, I think I crawled out of the room before you could see me laugh. For some reason, that day is etched in my memory, and I think of it when my own children pout and I cant get them to speak to me. You did the right thing by just laying down with me and letting me feel your love, even when I thought I did't want you to! I love you both so much, thanks for the memories...

Cindy said...

Paul, someone told me the other day I look older than you, but explained further that he thought it was because I seemed like the more mature one as you are always doin wild and crazy stuff. I won't say who it was, just a neighbor of yours who fixes diesels.